Make no mistake. This is an epochal moment in India’s foreign policy thrust. The External Affairs Ministry under Sushma and with PM Modi directly overseeing it is by far the most successful ministry in this cabinet.
For THE (anti) HINDU to be so effusive in its praise of this achievement means that this was a coup no one thought India would be able to pull off.
Consider the following:
1) First time in 7 decades of the UN that the UK will not be represented in the ICJ
2) First time that 1 of the 5 permanent members of the UNSC lost out to an “ordinary” member
3) First time that a sitting ICJ member lost out to another sitting ICJ member
4) UK held on till the last moment and gave up when it became clear that their position would become untenable, with more than 2/3rds of member countries voting against the UK
5) It was an unprecedented diplomatic outreach led by the PM, Swaraj, the FS Jaishankar, and India’s permanent representative to the UN Syed Akbaruddin
The Chaiwala can actually do more than just sell Chai